Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is It A Quarter?

If ever there was a time that I needed patience, it was last night with Gavin's homework. He had to look at a penny, dime, and nickel and tell me which was which and how much they were worth.

So in front of us we had all three coins. I think I did a pretty good job explaining the differences between them and how much they were worth. I show him the penny and ask what it is. His answer was a quarter. I told him we were only working with the penny, nickel, and dime. No quarters. He nods his head ok. We go thru a couple of rounds of questioning and he got the right answeres about 50% of the time.

The other 50% of the time he got the answer wrong was because he would guess that the coin was a quarter.
Me: Gavin, what is this one?
Gavin: A quarter?
Me: No, we are not using quarters
Gavin: A nickel?
Me: YES- What is this one?
Gavin: A quarter?
Me: NO! Quarter will NEVER be the answer- what is this?
Gavin: A penny?
Me: Yes. What about this one?
Gavin: ( with a happy smile on his face) Oh, this one has to be the quarter mommy!!
Me: No no no! Only dimes, pennies and nickels!
Gavin: Ok, then its a dime.

My god, this went on forever ! ! Not just once, but about 5 rounds that is how our conversation went. He just did not get it that we were not learning about quarters. But I have to smile about it now, because he was just soo darn happy to say it was a quarter. Like he was hoping that one time the answer would be Yes, its a quarter. So Gavin was smiling and happy and I was banging my head on the table. I hope tonights homework we learn about the quarter!

4 comments:

Candi said...

If tonight's is about a quarter, he'll insist it is a penny. At least, that's how it'd be in my house :-)!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Maybe foreign currency would be easier for him. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Good Luck! Can't wait for those days! :)