Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Venom

Gavin's been in school for about six weeks now and I have to say all is going well. We have had an increase in the amount of homework he has this year compared to last. But Gavin is doing really well with the material and so far even doing homework with him isn't a nightmare like it was last year.

Gavin also gets to switch classrooms with another class for science. His whole class goes into the classroom next door so that teacher can teach them science while his regular teacher teaches the other class social studies. This is one thing Gavin thinks is pretty cool about 2nd grade.

And, I can really tell Gavin is learning so much already this year. And retaining all of the information and taking it to heart. 2 weeks ago he learned about fire safety. And I guess his teacher told them a story about her garage catching on fire once. Last month, last year, or 10 years ago I have no idea when the fire took place. But it was ALL Gavin could talk about. Now he is going around the house unplugging things so we don't have electrical fires and asking me where our smoke alarms are. He also asked me daily if I thought our garage would ever catch on fire. I spent about a week re assuring him that nothing would happened to our house.

This weeks topic? Snakes. Snakes and the venom they have. The venom that will kill you if a snake bites you. Gavin has already gotten out of bed 6 times tonight to tell me how scared he is now of snakes and venom. Are there snakes in our walls? Can snakes get into our house? Will the venom make him die? OMIGOD what kind of questions are these?? And my heart is aching knowing that is laying there worrying about these things.

I finally got him calmed down by telling him I have anti venom in our medicine cabinet. Yes, I lied. But it got him to finally fall asleep. And I am really looking forward to see what he learns about next week!!

2 comments:

Happy2bme said...

YIKES, tell him I can't stand snakes either. I am terrified of them.

Glad to hear he's enjoying school this year. It makes a world of difference, doesn't it? :)

Kristi said...

I wish we had that science option for Noah. He loves science and his second grade class doesn't seem to be doing much.